Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Start of Semester

I’m back in classes again after a week of vacation…oh goody****! Yes, I know, that’s what I’m here for, but I was getting used to my time off. Anyway, there are two sections of Level 5, and yesterday Marie and I were together in a very large class (twelve people), with two new professors neither of us had had before. I liked that group of people; there were five of us from the US, two guys from Japan, a girl from Russia, a girl from Germany, a girl from China, and a nun from Kenya and a man from Ghana, who were both missionaries.

Today, however, our second professor complained that she couldn’t possibly teach that many people at once, and Marie and I were switched to the other section. I can’t help but think about the lecture halls of ninety-plus students at Keene. I think Yolanda would die of a heart attack if presented with one of those.

Now we’re in a much smaller class, only eight people, and not nearly so diverse a crew. There is one saving grace, though, and that is that we ended up with a teacher I had last session and loved. She’s big on projects, which I’m not too fond of, but I like her as a teacher, so it’s okay.

I’m sitting in my new favorite internet café right now, but while the coffee is good, the internet part isn’t working. The staff is aware of the problem and trying to fix it, but at the moment I’m one of only two customers who show any sign of sticking around until it’s fixed. The other four got up and left in frustration, and I would probably do the same except that I haven’t been online in a week, and I keep hoping it will magically start working again.

After my last time online, when my computer froze into a hopeless, helpless state of virus, I was reluctant to connect it to a network again, but it’s actually my best hope for fixing it. Craig tried to help me fix it over the phone last night, but between the two of us we couldn’t kick the bug. Leave it to me to pick up a virus that will not only annoy me but destroy my computer. He’s going to bring Windows discs when he comes to visit, and we’ll wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything. All I need to do is keep the poor thing alive for the next nine days…wish me luck!

No comments: